The Office of Security, (OSY) makes policy recommendations and oversees the Department’s Credential Management Program, including:
Homeland Security Presidential Directive 12 (HSPD-12), Policy for a Common Identification Standard for Federal Employees and Contractors directs the implementation of a standardized badging process, which is designed to enhance security, reduce identity fraud, and protect the personal privacy of those issued government identification.
Personal Identity Verification (PIV) is a common credentialing and standard background investigation process required by Homeland Security Presidential Directive 12 (HSPD-12).
A PIV card is a United States federal smart card that contains the necessary data for the cardholder to be granted access to federal facilities and information systems and assure appropriate levels of security for all applicable federal applications.
PIV-I is an alternate credential in which the Department has opted to issue to personnel requiring physical and/or logical access for a period of under 180 days, and to Foreign National Guests. OSY has implemented as Special Agreement Check (SAC) (with C, I) as an agency specific background check for PIV-I issuance for personnel with under 3 years of U.S. residency.
The Department of Commerce has opted to obtain HSPD-12 credentialing services via the USAccess Program managed by the General Services Administration (GSA) HSPD-12 Managed Service Office (MSO). Specialized exemptions of this service are the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO),and Common Access Card (CAC) issuance at NOAA.
Operating units shall implement risk-based procedures addressing local issuance, display, replacement, and final disposition of Facility Access Cards (FAC) for individuals not meeting the physical and/or logical access requirements for PIV-I credential issuance.
DAO 207-11 prescribes a uniform Official Credential for the Department of Commerce for:
- Law and regulatory enforcement units and offices authorized to conduct official law enforcement and non-law enforcement investigations;
- Official badges used by special agents, enforcement officers, and other personnel performing law enforcement and non-law enforcement duties;
- The standardization of policies and procedures for the issuance and use of official credentials and badges.
- DAO 207-11 Official Credential and Badge
- PIV and Alternative Credential Implementation, memorandum dated March 19, 2019 from the Director for Security (Commerce personnel only)
- Homeland Security Presidential Directive 12 (HSPD-12) - Policy for a Common Identification Standard for Federal Employees and Contractors
- FIPS 201-2 Personal Identity Verification (PIV) of Federal Employees and Contractors
- NIST SP 800-79-2 Guidelines for the Authorization of Personal Identity Verification Card Issuers (PCI) and Derived PIV Credential Issuers (DPCI)
- NIST SP 800-116 Guidelines for the Use of PIV Credentials in Facility Access
- NIST SP 800-157 Guidelines for Derived Personal Identity Verification (PIV) Credentials
- NIST SP 1800-12 Derived Personal Identity Verification (PIV) Credentials
- OPM Memo July 31, 2008 - Final Credentialing Standards for Issuing Personal Identity Verification Cards under HSPD-12
- OPM FIN 10-05 May 17, 2010 - Reminder to Agencies of the Standards for Issuing Identity Credentials Under HSPD-12
- OMB Memo March 2, 2016 - Guidance on Executive Branch-Wide Requirements for Issuing Personal Identity Verification (PIV) Credentials and Suspension Mechanism
- USAccess Program - GSA HSPD-12 Managed Service Office