U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Was this page helpful?


HSPD-12 PIV Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

  • What is HSPD-12?
    • Presidential requirement to have a Government-wide standard for secure and reliable identification for Federal employees and contractors.
  • What are the procedures to receive an HSPD-12 PIV badge?
    • Standardized identity proofing and registration procedures are required throughout DOC (HSPD-12 mandates a Government-wide standard).
    • All procedures are certified and accredited and subject to audit.
    • Only trained Federal employees (HR specialists and CORs) designated as Sponsors may perform identity proofing and submit completed background check forms and applications for the credential to the Registrar. 
    • Only trained Federal employees (Office of Security or appointed administrators) designated as Registrars may authorize the issuance of the credential. The Registrar must verify identify proofing, ensure the initial background check is favorable, and direct the issuance of the credential.
    • Only trained personnel (not the Registrar) designated as Issuers may issue the credential. 
    • For areas without a nearby PIV card issuing facility, only trained Federal employees designated as Enrollment Officials may verify the identification of the applicant and forward, by registered mail, this documentation and the photo and fingerprint card of an Applicant to the Registrar.
    • A Privacy Act certification must be completed for the storage of personal information.
    • For all HCHB employees/contractors, a badge will be printed and issued immediately after enrollment and adjudication have been completed.
  • Who is responsible for the implementation of HSPD-12?
    • The Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO) and the Office of Security have joint responsibility for the implementation of HSPD-12 throughout the Department in coordination with Bureau HSPD-12 representatives.
  • How are all the HSPD-12 officials trained?
    • Web-based training is available on the OSY web page for all personnel in the process (Applicant, Sponsor, Registrar, Remote Issuer).
    • Training normally takes less than 10 minutes.
  • How will I be notified when it is time to enroll for my PIV card?
    • Once you have been sponsored and your information has been entered into the USAccess system, you will receive notification from the Security Service Center at HCHB, or for field employees, your Field Servicing Security Office.
    • If you are a remote employee/contractor, an automated email to schedule an appointment for enrollment will be sent to you. This email will indicate the enrollment location chosen by the Sponsor.
  • What do I need to bring to enrollment?
    When you arrive for your appointment, there are three actions you should take before you arrive:
    • Bring proper identification to your appointment.
    • Verify your information was entered correctly.
    • Verify your ID documents have been properly captured and entered.
  • What documents do I need to bring to my appointment?
    Two forms of ID are required.
    • If you do not have at least one form of Primary ID and another Secondary form of ID, you will not be able to enroll/register for your card.
    • Your ID documents must match the name entered in the USAccess system. If it does not match when you arrive to your appointment, you will not be able to enroll and will need to reschedule your appointment for a later date. 

Primary ID

Secondary ID

U.S. Passport

U.S Social Security Card

Driver’s license or state-issued ID with photo including Real ID Compliant or IDs indicating "Not for Federal Identification" (or similar language)

Birth Certificate (original or certified copy) or

Certification of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth issued by the Department of State (FS-545 or DS-1350)

Military ID

ID card issued by federal, state, or local government agency;

Driver's license issued by a Canadian government entity;

Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Card

Voter's Registration Card

Foreign Passport

U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card

Military Dependent's ID card

Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (N-560 or N-561)

Certificate of Naturalization (N-550 or N-570)

Unexpired PIV Card

U.S. Citizen ID Card (I-197)

Identification Card for Use of Resident Citizen in the United States (I-179)

Temporary Resident Card (I-688)

Reentry Permit (I-327)

Refugee Travel Document (I-571)


Employment Authorization issued by DHS with or without photograph (I-688B)

Congressional ID meeting FIPS 201-2 requirements with a visible expiration date in red font

  Native American Tribal Document
  • How do I verify my information was entered in the USAccess system correctly? 
    During enrollment, you must verify that your information has been entered correctly. If your information does not match what is in the system when you arrive for enrollment, you will not be able to enroll until your sponsor corrects the information in the USAccess database correctly.

    Some examples of mismatched information that will require correction are: 
    • Typo or transposition of letters in the name (ex. James vs. Jmaes)
    • Mismatch between a given name and an alias, nickname or derivative name (ex. Jim vs. James)
    • Mismatch between maiden name in one record and married name in the other
    • Mismatch of the suffix
  • How do I find a center and check the availability of scheduling dates?                               
    To find the closest Center to an employee’s duty station that is outside of the agency headquarters, please log onto: http://www.fedidcard.gov/centerlocator.aspx. If a Center is marked “For use by Agency personnel only” and is open to employees and contractors of that agency, and you are not affiliated with that Agency, you will need to select another Center located near you or you will need to expand your range.
  • How can I find out the status of my card? 
    If you have questions as to the status of your card, please contact the Service Center where you enrolled. 
  • How long will it be before I receive my card?
    For remote employees/contractors, the PIV credentialing process can take between 2 to 6 weeks. This includes the time associated with your sponsorship, your enrollment, the printing of the card, the delivery of the card, and your receipt of the card. Employees/contractors located at HCHB will enroll and be issued their card on the same day.
  • How will I know when my card has been delivered? 
    For remote employees/contractors, once your card has been delivered to your enrollment Center, you will be contacted by the Enrollment Official to schedule an appointment to activate and pick up your card.