All visitors to HCHB, including other federal government employees (excluding Ronald Reagan Building occupants), are required to go through security screening upon their arrival.
Non-Federal Visitors: Are required to present a valid, non-expired accepted government (state/federal) form of photo identification. The visitor’s information is documented on a visitor access log and their sponsor is required to escort them while in the HCHB.
Federal Visitors: Those that present a valid, non-expired federal form of photo identification are allowed access without an escort once they have been through security screening. The exception to this is during Security Hours, in which case they must be escorted.
Non-Government Visitors and Contractors without DOC-Issued ID Badges:
- Must enter through the main entrance on 14th Street and tunnel entrance unless previous arrangements have been made with the Security Office.
- Must pass through the magnetometer and/or be scanned with handheld screening devices.
- Must have all packages, briefcases, purses, etc. scanned or searched.
- Access to HCHB requires any person desiring entry to possess one of the following forms of photo identification: official government ID, law enforcement badge and credentials, a DOC employee ID, DOC contractor ID and/or DOC visitor pass and must sign the visitor’s log.
- Will receive and must display a Visitor’s badge, which will be visible at all times while in the building, located on the front of the outside garment, chest level.
- Must be escorted by a HCHB employee while inside the building. (The visitor must provide the name and phone number of the DOC employee or organization they wish to visit to the receptionist who will contact that person or organization and request them to provide an escort.)
- Visitors must be escorted to an exit by a DOC employee and return the assigned visitor badge upon completion of the visit.
- Regardless of which DOC employee escorts the visitor out of the building, the employee who initially sponsored the visitor is responsible for the visitor’s badge and the visitor’s conduct while on the HCHB campus.
- Unescorted guests will be referred to the HCHB Special Police and employees who fail to escort assigned guests will be referred to their supervisor and may lose authorization to escort.
- Must have vehicles inspected if requiring access to the North and South courtyards or garages.
- Individuals accessing any HCHB area must possess and continuously display one valid form of above discussed identification on the upper torso of the front part of the body.
Foreign National Visitors
Sponsors of foreign national visitors are required to contact the Security Servicing Center (SSC) no less than 24 hours prior to arrival of their visitors to coordinate access.
Employee sponsors of FNVs must complete the Foreign National Visitor and Guest Departmental Sponsor Briefing (Commerce personnel only), sign the acknowledgement page at the end of the briefing, and email it to HCHBSecurity@doc.gov (sponsors only need to complete page 1).
All visits to the DOC by FNVs must be coordinated at least one full business day prior to the scheduled visit. Sponsors must provide the personal information of their FNVs by using the DOC Foreign National Request Form (Commerce personnel only) and sending it via encrypted email to HCHBSecurity@doc.gov, or by dropping it off in hard copy to the SSC. FNVs will not be admitted to the facility without the completion and approval of this form.