Chapter 3. Coverage
The policies contained in this document apply to all Department of Commerce employees except the following:
- Employees in the Senior Executive Service;
- Presidential appointees;
- Administrative law judges appointed under 5 U.S.C. 3105;
- Positions filled by noncareer executive assignments under 5 CFR Part 305;
- Positions for which employment is not reasonably expected to exceed 120 calendar days in a consecutive 12-month period;
- Employees outside the United States who are paid in accordance with local native prevailing wage rates;
- Employees covered under the Demonstration Project;
- Employees covered under the Alternative Personnel Management System;
- Employees covered by the Foreign Service Act of 1980, as amended;
- NOAA Corps Commissioned Officers;
- Individuals occupying positions not in the competitive service excluded from coverage by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) under the provisions of 5 U.S.C. 4301(2)(G); and
- Experts and consultants.
Additional Coverage Guidance
Details - Coverage is determined for employees who are on a detail by the position of record. Performance on the detail may be evaluated and included in the summary rating if a performance plan for the detail was established and the detail lasted for at least as long as the minimum appraisal period (120 days).
General Schedule - Employees whose service is temporarily interrupted by service in any federally-sponsored program (e.g., Intergovernmental Personnel Act), which calls for the employee's return to the same or like position, continue to be covered by the Performance Management System while on the federally-sponsored assignment.
Schedule C - employees, as authorized by 5 CFR Part 213.3301, are covered by this system except that they are not afforded the rights required by 5 U.S.C. 4302(b)(6) and 4303.
Foreign Service – employees covered by the Foreign Service Act of 1980, as amended, are covered by the Recognition portion of this handbook only.