Posted at 3:14 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, February 19, 2015
U.S. Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker today announced that 26 U.S. ambassadors are currently signed up to personally lead delegations of investors to the 2015 SelectUSA Investment Summit, March 23-24, at the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center, just outside Washington, D.C. The Summit will bring together international investors, domestic economic development organizations (EDOs), local elected officials, and academics to further explore investment opportunities all around the United States.
“The SelectUSA Summit is an important opportunity for us to showcase why the United States is the best place in the world for businesses to invest,” said Secretary Pritzker. “The strong interest we have received from overseas firms is great news, and we look forward to welcoming them. These companies understand the advantages of doing business in America and are ready to make or increase their investments, which will generate economic growth and create jobs in communities across the country.”
To date, more than 2,000 people from 77 countries have registered for the Summit. The inaugural 2013 SelectUSA Investment Summit attracted investors from 60 countries, including three delegations led by ambassadors. In addition to senior administration officials and 64 top public and private sector representatives, President Obama addressed the first summit.
U.S. ambassadors and their teams in embassies and consulates on every continent are recruiting high-potential investors to participate. These investors will have the opportunity to meet U.S. state and local officials, and economic developers at the Summit exhibition and through online matchmaking. Investors can also learn the basics of establishing operations in the United States at the Summit Academy, which will be held the day before the Summit, and hear from business and government leaders on the latest trends and policy issues during the two-day Summit program.
“We are thrilled with the caliber of the delegations that have registered, including decision-makers from growing companies and representatives of key business associations,” said Vinai Thummalapally, SelectUSA Executive Director and a former U.S. Ambassador to Belize. “We appreciate the essential role that U.S. ambassadors play in raising awareness of the incredibly diverse opportunities that the United States offers.”
The U.S. ambassadors currently signed up to lead delegations to the 2015 SelectUSA Investment Summit are:
· Ambassador John Berry, Australia
· Ambassador Alexa Wesner, Austria
· Ambassador Denise Bauer, Belgium
· Ambassador Liliana Ayalde, Brazil
· Ambassador Bruce Heyman, Canada
· Ambassador Michael Hammer, Chile
· Ambassador Rufus Gifford, Denmark
· Ambassador James Brewster, Dominican Republic
· Ambassador Jane Hartley, France
· Ambassador John Emerson, Germany
· Ambassador Robert Blake, Indonesia
· Ambassador Kevin O’Malley, Ireland
· Ambassador Daniel Shapiro, Israel
· Ambassador John Phillips, Italy
· Ambassador Caroline Kennedy, Japan
· Ambassador Deborah McCarthy, Lithuania
· Ambassador Anthony Wayne, Mexico
· Ambassador Timothy Broas, The Netherlands
· Ambassador Mark Gilbert, New Zealand
· Ambassador (Acting) Julie Furuta-Toy, Norway
· Ambassador Robert Sherman, Portugal
· Ambassador Theodore Sedgwick, Slovakia
· Ambassador James Costos, Spain
· Ambassador Mark Brzezinski, Sweden
· Ambassador Suzan LeVine, Switzerland
· Ambassador Matthew Barzun, United Kingdom
About the SelectUSA Investment Summit: The 2015 Summit will be held on March 23-24, in the Washington area at the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center. More than 2,500 participants will find the practical tools, information and contacts they need to move investments forward. To learn more and register, visit www.selectusa.gov.
About SelectUSA: Housed within the U.S. Department of Commerce, SelectUSA promotes and facilitates business investment into the United States by coordinating related federal government agencies to serve as a single point of contact for investors. SelectUSA assists U.S. economic development organizations to compete globally for investment by providing information, a platform for international marketing, and high-level advocacy. SelectUSA also helps investors find the information they need to make decisions; connect to the right people at the local level; navigate the federal regulatory system; and find solutions to issues related to the federal government. For more information, visit www.selectusa.gov.