Posted at 5:48 PM
U.S. Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker joined President Obama today in welcoming the new members of the President's Export Council at the White House. Secretary Pritzker swore in five of the seven total new members before the Council’s fall meeting.
“Today I am pleased to welcome seven new members to the President’s Export Council, all of whom are committed to the Administration’s top priority of strengthening the economy," said Secretary Pritzker. "This council provides the President with advice on how to increase trade and grow U.S. exports, and I have no doubt that the new members and their expertise will bolster our efforts to help American business, increase exports and boost our competitiveness abroad.”
The following individuals were appointed as new members of the President’s Export Council:
- Kenneth C. Frazier – President, Merck & Co., Inc.
- Andrés R. Gluski – President and CEO, AES Corporation
- Marillyn A. Hewson – President and CEO, Lockheed Martin Corporation
- Vanessa Keitges – President and CEO, Columbia Green Technologies
- Ian C. Read – Chairman and CEO, Pfizer
- Virginia M. Rometty – Chairman, President and CEO, IBM
- Arne M. Sorenson – President and CEO, Marriott International, Inc.
The President's Export Council is the principal national advisory committee on international trade, and advises the President on government policies and programs related to U.S. trade and export promotion, including the National Export Initiative. The Council provides a forum for discussing trade-related issues among the business, industrial, agricultural, labor and government sectors.
The President's Export Council is comprised of up to 28 private sector members, including a labor representative, the heads of the U.S. Conference of Mayors and the National Governors Association, five U.S. Senators, five U.S. Representatives and 17 federal agencies. More information about the Council is available at their website: www.trade.gov/pec.