Department of Commerce Guidance Documents
A guidance document is an agency statement of general applicability and future effect, other than a regulatory action, that sets forth a policy on a statutory, regulatory, or technical issue, or an interpretation of a statute or regulation. Guidance documents are intended to provide helpful information to the public, such as clarifying obligations under an existing law or regulation, or providing information on agency procedures. Guidance documents do not, however, themselves impose obligations on the public.
This page provides a portal to guidance documents issued by the Department or any of its component bureaus.
Please note that the contents of these guidance documents do not have the force and effect of law and are not meant to bind the public in any way. These documents are intended only to provide clarity to the public regarding existing requirements under the law or Department policies.
Department-Wide Guidance Documents
At this time, the Department does not have in effect any guidance documents subject to Executive Order 13891 that apply across the Department of Commerce.
Guidance Documents by Bureau
- Bureau of Economic Analysis
- Bureau of Industry and Security
- Census Bureau
- Economic Development Administration
- International Trade Administration
- Minority Business Development Administration
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (including National Technical Information Service)
- National Telecommunications and Information Administration (including FirstNet)
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Other helpful background documents
- Executive Order 13891: Promoting the Rule of Law Through Improved Agency Guidance Documents (October 9, 2019)
- OMB Memorandum M-20-02: Guidance Implementing Executive Order 13891 (October 31, 2019)
- OMB Bulletin 07-02: Final Bulletin for Agency Good Guidance Practices (January 18, 2007)
If you wish to petition the Department of Commerce to modify or withdraw any of its guidance documents, please use the form below.
Or you may write to us at:
Office of the Assistant General Counsel for Legislation and Regulation – Guidance Documents
U.S. Department of Commerce
1401 Constitution Avenue, N.W., Suite 5876
Washington, DC 20230