FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, August 5, 2010
CONTACT OFFICE OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS
Commerce Secretary Gary Locke Names New Members of Manufacturing Council
U.S. Commerce Secretary Gary Locke today announced his appointment of 24 members to the 2010 Manufacturing Council. The Council, which is directed by the Department of Commerce’s International Trade Administration and was established in 2004 and recently re-chartered. Locke was joined by members of the Senate Manufacturing Caucus, including Sens. Debbie Stabenow (MI), Sherrod Brown (OH), Jeff Merkley (OR) and Tom Udall (NM).
The Council’s new charter increases membership from 15 to 25 members and now includes more diverse and expansive industry representation in the manufacturing sector. The appointees represent a broad cross section of the industry and include steel, textile, superconductor and solar panel manufacturers both large and small. Their products support a diverse range of industries such as the auto, aerospace, apparel and energy efficiency sectors.
The Secretaries of Labor, Energy and Treasury have also been added as ex officio members of the Council to better collaborate on cross-cutting issues the Council will address.
“A vibrant manufacturing sector isn't just critical for the millions of Americans whose jobs depend on it,” Locke said. “Manufacturing is absolutely central to driving the innovation that fuels the American economy.”
“A strong manufacturing sector is critical to the health of the economy,” said Bruce Sohn, President of First Solar, Inc. and newly appointed chair of the Council. “I am pleased to chair this important committee and look forward to presenting the U.S. government with suggestions and direction to strengthen the American manufacturing sector.”
The Council advises the Secretary of Commerce on matters relating to the competitiveness of the manufacturing sector, and government policies and programs that affect U.S. manufacturers. The Commerce Department will schedule the Council’s inaugural meeting in the coming weeks.
Manufacturing is a key industry in the revitalization of the U.S. economy and the growth of U.S. jobs. The United States is the world’s largest manufacturing economy, employing nearly 12 million Americans in the production of $1.6 trillion in manufactured products, representing 18 percent of the world’s manufactured goods.
President Obama’s Recovery Act included more than $100 billion dollars worth of grants, tax cuts and incentives devoted to manufacturing investments.
See the full list of appointed Manufacturing Council members below.
- Bruce Sohn, President, First Solar, Inc., Chair (AZ)
- Joseph B. Anderson, Jr., Chairman & CEO, TAG Holdings LLC, Vice Chair (MI)
- Luis Arguello, President, DemeTech (FL)
- Greg Bachmann, President & CEO, Dymax Corporation (CT)
- Richard M. Beyer, Chairman & CEO, Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. (TX)
- Chandra Brown, President, United Streetcar & Vice President, Oregon Iron Works, Inc. (OR)
- Daniel DiMicco, President & CEO, Nucor Corporation (NC)
- Al Fuller, Chief Executive Officer, Integrated Packaging Corporation (NJ)
- Michael Gambrell, Executive Vice President, The Dow Chemical Company (MI)
- David W. Hastings, President & CEO, Mount Vernon Mills, Inc. (SC)
- Mary Isbister, President, GenMet (WI)
- Kellie Johnson, President, Ace Clearwater Enterprises (CA)
- Fred Keller, Chairman & CEO, Cascade Engineering (MI)
- Samuel Landol, Chief Operating Officer, Sealaska Corporation (AK/WA)
- Michael Laszkiewicz, Vice President & General Manager, Automation Power Control Business, Rockwell Automation, Inc. (WI)
- Daniel P. McGahn, President & COO, American Superconductor Corporation (MA)
- James B. McGregor, Vice Chairman, The McGregor Metalworking Companies (OH)
- Stephen MacMillan, President, CEO & Chairman, Stryker Corporation (MI)
- David Melton, President & CEO, Sacred Power Corporation (NM)
- Jason W. Speer, Vice President & General Manager, Quality Float Works, Inc. (IL)
- Ward J. Timken, Chairman, The Timken Company (OH)
- Peter Ungaro, President & CEO, CRAY (WA)
- Jane L. Warner, Executive Vice President, Illinois Tool Works (IL)
- Donna L. Zobel, President & CEO, Myron Zucker (MI)
Ex Officio Members:
- Steven Chu, U.S. Secretary of Energy
- Hilda L. Solis, U.S. Secretary of Labor
- Timothy F. Geithner, U.S. Secretary of the Treasury
For more information on the Manufacturing Council please go to: http://www.manufacturing.gov/council/index.asp?dName=council