FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, October 19, 2009
CONTACT OFFICE OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS
Commerce Secretary Gary Locke to Highlight Trade, Intellectual Property Rights and Energy During China Trip
Locke and U.S. Trade Representative Ronald Kirk to co-host October meeting of U.S.-China Joint Commission on Commerce and Trade
U.S. Commerce Secretary Gary Locke will travel to Guangzhou and Hangzhou, China, October 26-30, to co-chair the 20th session of the U.S.-China Joint Commission on Commerce and Trade (JCCT) and to stress the importance of strong intellectual property rights protection and enforcement around the world.
The JCCT, established in 1983, is the main forum for addressing bilateral trade matters and promoting commercial opportunities between the United States and China. Secretary Locke will co-chair the annual high-level JCCT meeting with U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk and Chinese Vice Premier Wang Qishan in Hangzhou on October 28-29. Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack will also participate in the JCCT.
In Guangzhou, Secretary Locke will deliver a keynote address at the “Pearl River Delta International Forum on Innovation and Intellectual Property,” sponsored by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the Guangdong Intellectual Property Office on October 27. He will also meet with local university students to discuss the importance of intellectual property rights for the next generation of innovators and entrepreneurs.
Tuesday, October 27, 2009 (Guangzhou)
On Tuesday, Secretary Locke will:
- Deliver a keynote address at the Pearl River Delta International Forum on Innovation and Intellectual Property
- Celebrate “American Products Day” at the grand opening of the first Sam’s Club in Guangzhou, China
- Meet with Jinan University students to discuss the importance of intellectual property rights for the next generation of innovators and entrepreneurs
Wednesday, October 28, 2009 (Hangzhou)
On Wednesday, Secretary Locke will:
- Host a roundtable meeting with energy companies to discuss opportunities and barriers to entry for U.S. companies in China's clean energy market
- Attend the JCCT Opening Dinner with Chinese Vice Premier Wang Qishan
Thursday, October 29, 2009 (Hangzhou)
On Thursday, Secretary Locke will:
- Co-chair the JCCT Ministerial Meeting with U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk and Chinese Vice Premier Wang Qishan
- Participate in the JCCT signing ceremony
- Host a post-JCCT press conference with local media