Guest blog by Nicole Lamb-Hale, Assistant Secretary for Manufacturing and Services
Today, I joined members of the President’s Export Council (PEC), U.S. and Canadian officials and U.S. and Canadian businesses to discuss border trade opportunities and challenges between American and Canadian companies. Canada and the United States share a unique relationship = we share not only borders, but economies.
Canada and the United States’ economies are greatly intertwined. The two nations share the world’s largest and most comprehensive trading relationship, which supports millions of jobs in each country. However, Canada and the United States don’t simply trade goods with each other: we build things together and rely on each other’s markets to design and build products that compete in global markets.
In 2010, U.S. Exports to Canada were worth $249.1 billion, 19 percent of total U.S. exports. These exports include motor vehicles and parts, agricultural and construction machinery, computer equipment, iron and steel, basic chemicals and petroleum and coal products.
The Administration will continue to work hard to help Michigan companies grow by breaking into foreign markets, increasing exports and creating jobs.
The simple fact is that the more American – and Michigan – companies export, the more they produce. The more they produce, the more workers they need. And that means jobs. Good paying jobs here at home.
- The Commerce Blog
- Economic Indicators
- Office of the Secretary
- Office of Business Liaison
- Center for Faith Based and Neighborhood Partnerships
- Native American Affairs
- Office of the Chief Financial Officer and Assistant Secretary for Administration
- Office of the Chief Information Officer
- Office of the Executive Secretariat
- Office of General Counsel
- Office of Inspector General
- Office of Legislative and Intergovernmental Affairs
- Office of Policy and Strategic Planning
- Office of Public Affairs
- About Commerce
- Commerce Leadership
- Careers & Internships
- Commerce Services & Offices Near You
- Grants, Contracting & Trade Opportunities
- Contact Us